Reddit calls itself “The Front Page Of The Internet” – and it is. It’s like a playground with cool kids, tons of [mind] games, puns, “I-see-what-you-did-there” moments, creative ideas, food and drink recipes, world news, lots of pictures to look at, stories to share…and lots of cats. Oh, and famous people! I never get tired of surfing there.
reddit noun, verb – redd·it, redd·it·ing; see redditor, subreddit
noun – a type of online community where users vote on content
verb – to take part in a reddit community
So what is Reddit? This YouTube video gives a great overview:
According their site, this is how reddit works:
Check out the stats:
What’s so addicting about this site? I think it’s the never-ending quest for something new and exciting. Curious human nature drives this site.
Let’s start with my favorite front page – the TIL, or “Today I Learned” subreddit. Full of interesting and verifiable facts:
Click…click…4 hours later…click…click…this place is addicting. I click around to discover new subreddits. I feel I have to check it at least once daily, and more, whenever I get the chance. I just don’t want to miss anything.
You can “Ask Reddit” anything – go ask a question to the community and see what kind of responses you get. And no, you don’t have to have a username just to read, or as it’s known, “lurking”.
Since there are “subreddits”, it’s not just their front page you can read…you have an entire site with many subgroups with that much more information!!!!
Do you like “Lord of the Rings” movies like I do? There’s an LOTR subreddit for that. Do you love other books by J.R.R Tolkien? That’s a different subreddit! In other words, it’s like going down the internet’s rabbit hole.
Check out this one: EarthPorn. Don’t worry, it’s “safe for work”, and these are beautiful photos of the Earth…nature, weather, flora, fauna, sunsets, etc. I love to see snow pics (read: WinterPorn). Other favorites are AgriculturePorn, FoodPorn and DessertPorn (“the stomach is a dream factory”). I know the word “porn” is harsh to the reader, but these safe-for-work entries are awe-inspiring to fellow photographers like me.
So what does imgur have to do with it? imgur is a pictures site (pronounced “imager”), which not only hosts photo uploads for free, it has a comments format wherein you can add your own and add to other’s postings. Similar to reddit, only more photo-centric. “imgurians”, as they call themselves, are a tight-knit bunch, and proudly say so! Many things posted on Reddit (like a photo with a story behind it) have the actual photo hosted on imgur – so the two are literally linked. You can certainly go on imgur itself without reddit – just check out a screenshot from today of the most viral photos:
You can click on any of the photos and it will take you to its hosting page, whereupon you can not only see the entire photo, you can see what the “Original Poster” (OP) said about the photo. Not all these photos are original, as sometimes they’re ‘borrowed’ from the web or other hosting sites. It’s certainly considered bad form to claim a photo as your own when it isn’t.
As with many cliques, where the cool kids know all the inside jokes, these 2 sites certainly have some:
- “banana for scale” – refers to the need for something to be compared to a real life object to note contextual size
- “tl;dr” – too long, didn’t read…if the poster’s comments were too long
- “so this is a thing”…something has been posted repeatedly; could be good or bad
- “that’s so metal” – phrase used for varied contexts
- “I did the thing” – whatever it is that was much talked about, the poster did it
- Recipes – they are posted almost daily, usually with the title “Award-Winning”…and usually has lots of upvotes
- “cake day” – your anniversary of becoming a user
- Anything “Lord of the Rings” related – many memes, quotes and animated gifs are “a thing”
- “awww yissssss!” – utter delight and satisfaction
- “bae” – intentional misspelling of “babe”
- posting a cute animal photo at the end of a long post to ‘thank’ the reader for reading so many words
- otherwise unmentionable
In other words – get to these sites and have fun with the world!